It’s a little personal, but I realize my life looks like I’m rich or something. I’m not. I work hard for what I have, but I’m also terribly lucky.
As for affording to live in LA, that’s all my assistant’s salary goes to. I don’t make a lot of money doing it, but it covers my rent and bills. My side job is styling for Wildfox’s ecommerce shoots. I only do it once a month and it varies depending on how many days we’re shooting, but it gives me some wiggle room. It also helps that I don’t have any credit cards, no student loans and my car is paid off.
As for wearing fancy clothes, you seem to have noticed I basically only wear Wildfox. That’s because those girls have been my best friends for years. They are super beyond generous with me, and I always get the samples of pieces I’ve helped inspire (there are some wine designs I’ve been helping Kim brainstorm, for example). I rarely shop for clothes, and when I do, I sell stuff I have and save up and buy nice things that will last me awhile/have resale value. And ASOS for trendy pieces (free shipping on all orders! weeee!).
The majority of my money does go to wine, and it is an expensive habit. But I also get sent a lot of wine. I’m not paid to review it or post about it or anything, and a lot of it I don’t review, but I do get wine for free.
And it’d be remiss of me to leave out the fact that I’m basically married to Ben, and he is very generous with me. He’s never paid for my rent or anything like that (we split everything equally) but if he wants to go to Big Sur, I get to go too, even if I’m broke that month.
So yeah, that’s my story.
Tips for living my lifestyle are the following:
1. Always pay your rent on time.
2. Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize.
3. Only spend money on those things you prioritize. I’m frivolous at times, but only with booze, leisure, and occasionally shoes.
4. If you want to buy something today, wait and see if you still NEED it tomorrow. Or better yet, next week.
5. Remember that money comes and money goes, and believe that money is always coming.
6. Never shop online drunk.
7. Don’t eat out all the time. Or drink out, for that matter.
8. Make your own coffee.
9. If you do get drunk at a concert at a surf shop and spend $175, don’t beat yourself up about it.
10. Be grateful for everything you have, and suddenly you’ll find much more to be grateful for.
AND JUST DO IT! oxox